Juvenile Charges in Mercer County are handled at 175 South Broad Street, Trenton, New Jersey.Trenton is the county seat of Mercer County and the city where its juvenile court is located. If your child was arrested and is facing a juvenile charge, his or her case will be decided at the Family Division of the Mercer County Superior Court in Trenton. This is the place where all criminal offenses filed against those under eighteen (18) years old are processed and decided. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall are well acquainted with this court as members of one of the state’s largest criminal defense firms. We have also been practicing in the Trenton juvenile court for over 100 years between us. To speak to Trenton Juvenile Defense Lawyer at our firm anytime 24/7, call our Princeton Office at 609-683-8102.

Frequently Asked Questions in Trenton Juvenile Cases

Will My Child Have Child Have A Record If He or She Is Convicted? All proceedings in the juvenile court in Trenton are “closed”. What this means is that all records of what goes on in a case are kept private. There is no database that an employer, college or other organization can access to uncover records of a Trenton juvenile case. Law enforcement and the court are the only groups that have the ability to know what occurs in terms of a violation of the law involving a child. The only exception is in extreme cases where New Jersey Law imposes an obligation on the prosecutor to inform a child’s school of a particularly serious criminal conviction (e.g. sexual assault, gun possession, etc.).

Do I Need To Hire An Attorney? Yes. Every parent or guardian of a child charged with a criminal offense is required to secure representation. A parent has no ability to serve as the lawyer for his son or daughter. Cases are not heard in the juvenile court unless there is representation. If a family is unable to afford an attorney, they can apply for a public defender. For information regarding the Mercer County Public Defender click here.

Can My Child Be Incarcerated? Yes. A minor may be taken into custody and held pending the outcome of a juvenile offense. This is customarily referred to retention of a juvenile. There must reason to believe that the child is a threat to himself, others or property for him/her to be retained. Incarceration of a juvenile may also be imposed as part of a sentence following a finding of guilt.

Were The Police Allowed To Question My Child? Generally, police are not permitted to question a child without their parent or an attorney being present. If an interrogation occurs without a parent being present, they must satisfy a high burden in order to establish that the resulting confession is constitutional valid and admissible in a case.

Juvenile Attorneys in Trenton NJ

The attorneys at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall are highly experienced in the defense of just about any variety of criminal charge you can imagine. We defend juveniles charged with:

If your child is facing a juvenile delinquency complaint in Trenton of any nature, a lawyer with the knowledge you need is available immediately at 609-683-8102. Call us now for a free initial consultation.